Sunday, February 14, 2016
There are only a few basic things you need to know about this recipe.
1. I made it three times in a month.
2. One of those times was Christmas Day. All my guests raved.
3. It's easy and inexpensive and it feeds a lot of people. Just add a crisp, vinegary salad to cut the cheesy richness.
4. Every time I serve it someone asks for the recipe. So obviously it'll make you famous in your 'hood.
5. Best of all? Leftovers are even more delicious. That means Sunday lunch easily becomes Monday dinner. Bam.
Cheesy Baked Beef and Noodles
Adapted from Together as Family
1 lb ground beef
Half a white onion, chopped
1/4 tsp Italian seasoning
1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
Pinch of nutmeg
1 15-oz can tomato sauce
1 12-oz bag egg noodles
1 8-oz container sour cream
1 16-oz container cottage cheese
2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
1. Heat oven to 350 F.
2. In large pan over medium-high heat, brown ground beef until no pink remains. Add onion, Italian seasoning, red pepper flakes, and nutmeg. Cook, stirring, until onion is soft. Add tomato sauce and bring to a simmer.
3. Meanwhile, cook egg noodles as directed on package.
4. In medium bowl, combine sour cream and cottage cheese. Set aside.
5. Drain noodles and stir them into sour cream mixture.
5. Coat 9-inch-by-13-inch glass baking dish with cooking spray. Start with half the noodles, and then half the beef, and finish with 1 cup cheese. Repeat all three layers. Bake 20 minutes or until bubbling.